Welsh National - Chepstow Racecourse
The Welsh Grand National was first staged after the second World War which up to this point was run at the Caerleon course. Since 1948 Chepstow has played host to this great race.
Chepstow is a left-handed oval track of about two miles with and undulating run in of five furlongs. There is a mile straight course over which all races up to a mile are run. When the ground gets soft here abundant stamina is vital.
The Chepstow course is undulating and stamina-sapping course where stamina is vital especially as the Coral Welsh National is always run on a bog in the depths of winter. The final five fences in the straight are relatively close together and demand precise, accurate jumping particularly the final open ditch and the uphill run to the line requires competitors to stay every yard of the trip.
Chepstow came to being following a number of Welsh gentlemen establish a company to buy Piercefield Park. Making up this elite team was Lords Tredegar, Glanely and Queenborough, and it took over three years to build their dream racecourse. The very first race meeting at Chepstow racetrack was in 1926 when 20,000 racegoers were in attendance.